Saturday, August 30, 2008

TGIF (well, actually Saturday)

It's my Friday today because I am on a Tuesday to Saturday rotation for work, but after today I have four days off in a row, which will be sweet! I decided to post on a few things that I have found interesting lately as well as some things that I was not so pleased about.

I didn't get to see the Closing Ceremonies of the Olympics (heck, I barely watched any of the Olympics themselves because I don't care that much. That and I don't have cable). I did, however, take some time to watch one segment of the ceremonies online because it included one of the greatest axemen in rock history, JIMMY PAGE!!! Jimmy hammered out the riff to "Whole Lotta Love" accompanying Leona Lewis (????) who sang the legendary rock anthem. My question is: why the heck is some limey Whitney Houston wannabe being chosen to sing that song with Jimmy Page? Sorry, but they aren't even CLOSE to being in the same league. Very disappointing. Plus, she sucks.

*

Here is a great book review for The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future [Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30]. This book looks like it's going to be a corker...

*

I have been listening to Patty Griffin's album Flaming Red, and I have been absolutely loving how much she rocks out on this album, a very different sound than her other albums. I could listen to Griffin's voice forever and the combination of her emotive vocals, the huge guitars and great songs make for an underrated "classic" that I'd recommend to anyone.


It's hard to believe that this summer has almost come to an end and that the kids will be going back to school on Tuesday. It has never seemed that a summer has passed as quickly as summer 2008. This fall promises to be busy and the trick for Caitlin and I is going to be finding a balance between our commitments and time for ourselves. Should be interesting...


No comments: