Tuesday, June 20, 2006

In Cold Blood

I just recently finished Truman Capote's 'In Cold Blood' and I thought that rather than write a synopsis and/or review of the book (it was excellent by the way), I would reflect on how I felt after reading it. One of the reviews of the book called it something along the lines of "a chilling portrait of the nature of American violence" and that about hits the nail on the head. My skin crawled as I read Capote's vivid re-creation of the murders themselves and the aftermath. There was essentially no real motive for the murder of Mr. Herbert Clutter, his wife, and their children Nancy and Kenyon. I was shocked by the senseless nature of the murders and the ease with which Richard Hickock and Perry Smith committed them. Few books have made me feel as confused as this one did. To be perfectly honest, I am having a difficult time really putting my feelings into words. What I can say is that Capote is a genius and the book was a stunningly crafted re-telling ("non-fiction novel" as he called it) of the Clutter case. I recommend this book with the disclaimer that it is not light or easy reading. What you read will disturb you and most likely make you question how a human could commit such atrocities on others for no apparent reason.

No comments: