Friday, February 24, 2006

5 albums I love by female artists

I have been wanting to do this for awhile and so, since I am on holidays and have a bit of time, I am going to comment on some albums I love by female artists. I have some others that I really love (such as Patty Griffin) but these are ones that CONSTANTLY make it into the CD tray. They are:

1. Emmylou Harris--Wrecking Ball: My stepfather, Alan, introduced me and my friend Amy K. sealed the deal when she played it one night at her place. Simply put, this is one of the most beautiful albums song-wise and for production value (yeah Daniel Lanois!) that I have ever heard. Most of the songs are covers (Neil Young, Anna McGarrigle, Gillian Welsh, to name a few) that Harris takes and makes her own with the help of guest stars such as Larry Mullen Jr. (U2), Neil Young, and Lanois. Her voice is haunting and perfect throughout and the quality of the musicianship is awe-inspiring. A must-have!

2. Sarah Harmer--You Were Here: Really, I could have substituted her next album 'All Of Our Names' because it, too, is brilliant, but I gave the edge to this one simply because I absolutely love the song "Lodestar". Harmer is a major-league talent, in my opinion, with sweet folk guitar chops and a voice that moves me like few other voices. The songs here are quirky, intimate, and often bewitching. I fell in love with this album upon first listen, a rarity. Usually it takes repeat listens in order for an album to grow on me. This was love at first...whatever. I got to telling people that I wanted to marry her because her music, voice, and seemingly down-to-earth demeanor were so captivating. And seeing her live (twice) really made my sickness worse. Anyway, pretty much everything she puts out is wonderful and I would recommend it all. But start with this album!

3. Chantal Kreviazuk--Under These Rocks and Stones: The vocal harmonies in the second chorus of "Surrounded" would have gotten this album on the list. Thankfully, the rest of the album is also fantastic. C.K. was a classically-trained child prodigy on the piano and it shows in her playing here. The songs are strong, confessional, and at her most stripped-down she is arresting in her honesty and vulnerability. She is also gorgeous, which doesn't hurt...

4. Sarah McLachlan--Fumbling Towards Ecstasy: I pretty much grew up hearing Sarah McLachlan's music around the house. Alan, my musically influential stepfather and all around righteous dude, bought her first album 'Touch' when it was released in 1989. This album balances the really interesting music she made throughout her first 2 albums (the aforementioned 'Touch' and 'Solace') with great pop hooks and killer vocals, not to mention haunting production that perfects the entire package. Her music is not unique like it used to be when she wasn't a household name, i.e. before the success of this album. Though I still enjoy her music, it has lost alot of its mystery and interesting Celtic-like touches. Anyways, there is plenty to love about 'Fumbling', with each song a winner, but the real gem is the hidden track, a piano and vocal version of opener "Possession" that just slays me every time I hear it. Though her albums post-'Fumbling' have sold bucketloads, check out 'Solace' next because it is almost as good as this one and superior, in this man's opinion, to her more recent output.

5. Tori Amos--From the Choirgirl Hotel: I have a lot I could say about Tori Amos including the fact that she is weird and more than a little off her rocker, to be blunt. She also makes fascinating music that I never tire of listening to. It is often uncomfortable, brutal in its imagery, and she can really make you squirm with how candid she is about events in her past (i.e. rape) or other topics she chooses to cover. She possesses a voice reminiscent of Kate Bush and piano-driven music not unlike Elton John, only a million times weirder. This is the album of hers that really does it for me. With samples, drum loops, lush supporting string arrangements, big guitars, beautiful piano (check out "Northern Lad"), and cryptic, crazy-ass lyrics, she brings all the disparate elements of her past music together and crystallizes it here. I listen to this album ALL THE TIME because I just never get sick of it. Sonically, it is abslutely breathtaking and her voice will get inside your head and refuse to leave. Killer...

2 comments:

James Kingsley said...

You have GOT to add Feist's "Let it Die" to your playlist this week. The album is nothing short of fantastic. And dude, it's a must-have for the dimly lit bedroom of a newlyweds everywhere...

Anonymous said...

james..i'm listening to fiest as i write and now i'm getting mental pics of you and hil in the sack..thanks, thanks a lot!