Monday, March 21, 2011

Matty's Playlist EPs vol. 8

'No Speak No Slave' - The Black Crowes (The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion): I've mentioned this song in a few previous posts because I love it so much. To me, it defines funky rock 'n' roll and the riff is one of my favourites of all time. I don't have much to say other than it has a cracking vocal, phenomenal guitar playing, and is probably my favourite track from "America's Most Rock and Roll Rock and Roll Band." No matter how down I might be feeling, this song is sure to pick me up. The first time I saw the band live, I was second row and they unexpectedly opened the show with it, which sent me off into the stratosphere. Also, killer guitar solo by Marc Ford, one of my little-known axe-wielding heroes. There is also a scintillating live version of it on their concert double-disc Freak and Roll...Into the Fog.

'O Valencia!' - The Decemberists (The Crane Wife): This band is one I'd heard of and always made a note of wanting to follow up about because enough people I respect had brought up their name as one to look out for. And thanks to the joy of Grooveshark, I was finally able to check them out. I immediately compiled their album The Crane Wife and have spent the last few weeks listening to it. This song has a bit of a Romeo and Juliet vibe, with the star-crossed lovers theme and all. I love good story-songs (ala Mark Knopfler or Gord Downie, just to name a couple favourites) and I know this song is similar to a movie plot that is on the tip of my tongue...

'Oh Lonesome Me' - M. Ward ft. Lucinda Williams (Hold Time): This song was originally recorded (and written) by Bob Gibson with the inestimable Chet Atkins on guitar. Before hearing M. Ward's cover, I was most familiar with Neil Young's version on his classic album After The Gold Rush. This is a a countrified take on the song and you can almost hear the space between slide licks and what's not played is almost as important as what is being played. Lucinda Williams' smoky vocals are the perfect counterpoint to M. Ward's bassy crooning to higher register emoting. It also has a lovely string arrangement, which perfectly compliments the spare instrumentation.

'Swan Swan H' - R.E.M. (Lifes Rich Pageant): A song written about the Civil War era, with its mention of 'Johnny Reb'. However, the lyrics are very non-linear, obtuse Stipe-ean musings like much of his writing in the 80s. However, this song is all about feel, rather than making sense in a conventional way and is very simple with it's acoustic guitar minor-key strumming and tasteful percussion. I remember that when I first bought this album (with its intentional omission of an apostrophe in the title!) and heard this song, I found it incredibly mournful, though that didn't stop me from listening to it repeatedly. I'm a huge fan of R.E.M.'s pre-Warner Brothers output--it's kind of mystical and weird, yet has a lot of heart. It certainly set the template for a lot of alternative rock that was to follow.

Listen to this playlist here.

4 comments:

alanna said...

the new decemberists is on constant repeat in my library

The Renegade Librarian said...

Yeah, I want to listen to that and I should just dig it up on Grooveshark and start spinning it. :)

Anonymous said...

Couple of my favorite albums mentioned in the past few posts and a few to check out. Just dropping by though to say I'm loving the writing, it's gotten progressively better and you're an example of what I try to say in music reviews but fail - keep on keepin' on!

The Renegade Librarian said...

Thanks, Eric! I feel like I never phrase things very well, but I sure do enjoy writing about music and I'm so honoured that you enjoy reading these posts--your opinion is counted very highly by me, for sure.