Tuesday, January 06, 2009

some randoms

Well, 2009 has opened with a...sound like when a balloon slowly lets out air or when you do a silent, slow fart--not bad but not exactly a bang, you know? I do have a couple CanRock shows to look forward to with Sam Roberts this Friday night (second row!) and then Kathleen Edwards on January 17. I have some good books to read, some more good tunes to dig into, and some friends with whom I am looking forward to spending time. Anyway, as I sit here and munch on my Honey Nut Cheerios, I thought I'd just share/comment on a few things I've seen.

According to this story in The Tyee, outgoing idiot, er...I mean, President Bush is going to fully and formally pardon himself under Article II Section 2 of the Constitution. It's probably the smartest...no, scratch that, it is the smartest thing he's done since being in office, but it makes me spitting mad and does nothing to curtail my belief that the U.S. Constitution contains more flaws than Liza Minnelli's plastic surgeries.

*

One of the things that I love about U2's Larry Mullen Jr. is that he has never been shy of criticizing his lead singer (and perhaps best friend), the inimitable Bono. In this story, originally found in The Irish Independent, he totally blasts Mr. Hewson for his "friendships with war criminals." No matter where you stand on this, Mullen's honesty and willingness not deify Bono along with the rest of the world (including often me) is pretty sweet.

*

If you haven't seen Kung Fu Panda yet and you like witty animated flics, it's well worth a watch. I have watched it three times now and each time have laughed harder than the last. It's a cool movie visually too...

*

Michelle talks about flying out of Christmas. As always, it's pretty funny. Are your really surprised?

*

According to my pastor Randy, a recent survey of peoples' perceptions of Christians found that the following were most prevalent: Christians are judgmental, Christians are hypocritical, and Christians hate gays. This is incredibly sad to me (own damn fault for sure!), but I was not the least bit surprised. It's given me a lot to think about regarding how I live out Christ's love for other people. I am pretty poor at it much of the time, but I really want to keep striving for it.

*

I am enjoying coming up with really interesting Facebook statuses that either puzzle people or make them laugh, since I update my Facebook status fairly infrequently now--I have been on a Beastie Boys theme lately for whatever reason. If you really want to know what is going on with me check my Twitter status on the right side of the Dynasty.


Well, as Robert Plant and Jimmy Page wail beside me, backed by Middle Eastern orchestra, I bid you all adieu for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the shows! I saw Sam Roberts in the fall, and he was fantastic--I wasn't a huge fan before, but I remembered how much you and Caitlin liked him, so thanks! I'm going to see Edwards (finally--kept missing her) in a few weeks as well.