Friday, January 02, 2009

a New Years list

I totally cribbed this from the Librarian Fonz, but since I didn't want to make a 'best of' or 'favourites' list, I thought I'd just do this instead. Happy New Year, Dynasty readers!

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
I climbed a ropes course. I also went to work at a job I love in contrast to a job that bored me or that I hated, which had been de rigueur in my life.

2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I tend not to make resolutions. I bet I probably failed at the ones I may have made because they likely had something to do with becoming more patient and gracious. Um...yeah.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister and one of my closest friends both gave birth. I like being Uncle Matty.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, no one with whom I was very close.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just Amerikka, I think.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A more active life. Less anxiety. Patience.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory?
August 7 and September 13, birth dates of Ryan Thiessen and Leilani Renton, respectively

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Probably getting a job I enjoy in my chosen profession and managing not to get fired for incompetence and/or unprofessional conduct

9. What was your biggest failure?
I still have a bad temper, I still judge people, and I still love the Leafs

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing other than some common colds.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Nothing. I mean, I like my guitar amp a lot, but it's just a "thing"

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My wife's. She didn't file for divorce and (I think) she's still in love with me.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
A bunch of shallow egotistical celebrities, the prime example being Kanye West, who thinks he's some kind of musical genius(???)

14. Where did most of your money go?
Um, to lots of things. Kind of a stupid question, actually.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Liverpool being on the top of the EPL table, the births of my nephew/quasi-niece, trip to Seattle, LFC signing Robbie Keane, the Ottawa Senators sucking.

16. What song/album will always remind you of 2008?
I listen to WAY too much music to be able to answer this question properly. So, I just won't.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
1. happier or sadder? About the same
2. thinner or fatter? Perhaps a shade thinner, if you can believe it
3. richer or poorer? Richer, considering I was unemployed and living with my in-laws.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading, seeing my family, playing guitar.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying, getting angry, being unkind.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Shoveling snow. Also, with my family.

21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
I hate the phone. Based on the number of minutes (note I didn't say hours)? Caitlin, my sister Laura, Andy.

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Nope, other than fall more in love with things I already loved. Oh, and with Pam from The Office (Caitlin loves Jim, so I say we're square)

23. How many one night stands in this last year?
I can't write that here, my wife reads my blog. :P

24. What was your favourite TV programme?
The Office, Arrested Development, Hockey Night in Canada

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No comment.

26. What was the best book(s) you read?
I tend to stay away from crap. The worst I read was "The Shack", no doubt about it.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Royal Wood, Cindy Davis, Amos Lee, The National, just to name a few.

28 What did you want and get?
a new guitar amp, a couple official Liverpool Football Club jerseys, lots of music, a completely unique personalized mug.

29. What did you want and not get?
Nothing. I am the most blessed and fortunate person that I know and I do not deserve any of it.

30. What were your favourite films of this year?
I do not watch many films. I loved Kung Fu Panda and Quantum of Solace

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I don't even remember--I hope that does not make me a bad person, in case someone did throw me a party. If you did, I can guarantee I had a good time. I'm completely self-absorbed so something thrown in my honour would definitely appeal to me...

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less anxiety and worry.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Guybrarian.

34. What kept you sane?
My good friends, my wife, the ability to still laugh when things were difficult.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jenna Fischer (Pam from The Office) hands-down. That was a no-brainer.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I try to ignore politics and politicians as they both tend to make me angry

37. Who did you miss?
Friends from back east--you all know who you are!

38. Who was the best new person you met?
I met a number: Sarah P, the Neufelds, my boss, my co-workers

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Women like shoes. A lot. Almost without exception. If you want to be a good husband/partner, buy her the shoes she wants and she'll make your life easier.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
"And the legend of the rent was WAY HARDCORE!!!!!"

4 comments:

Michelle said...

"I still love the Leafs" hehe, fail.

Um, I have a problem with number 13, Mr. Bingham...Kanye is awesome and he is Just as cocky as our Bono...you just enjoy U2 more. Those of us who love Kanye, find him amusing.

Those of us in Ontarrrrryario miss ya'll too!

I LOVE Jim Halpert, LOVE.

AJ Renton said...

Too much to comment on... but, a good read nonetheless. And you are DEFINITELY thinner. And richer. And more uncleyer.

You're also the best gaybrarian I know.

Anonymous said...

Your response to #40 was just awesome! :)

As for favourite tv shows, I forgot about Arrested Development. The funniest show that is no longer on television.

Did you know the Oracle predicts an Arrested Development movie in 2009?

Malcolm Johnson said...

#34 is great.