Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I remember...

I always find it funny how memories are triggered and the way we connect things to each other. Sometimes it's a word, a sign, a scent, or something we taste. Other times it can be things as disparate as a behavioral trait in another, a name, a song, or a physical place. Another thing I find funny is the 'stories' that your parents will tell you when you are a child in order to get you to do what they want--actually, let's just call them for what they really are: lies (often innocent, and in most cases very funny, but lies nonetheless).

On the subject of those 'stories', I was sitting in my office today, eating a banana, when suddenly I remembered that my mom used to tell me that the bruises on bananas were sugar deposits and thus were sweeter. Now, I hated bruised bananas and I barely tolerate bananas now, even if they're not bruised. In addition, I never bought her story at all and thus used to throw out the bananas all the time if they had bruises. I still struggle to eat a banana with any bruises--now, I eat around the bruises and toss out every sullied part in order to not be completely wasteful. Nice try, mom...

In order to prevent me from playing with my bellybutton when I was little (I don't know why I wanted to, I guess I was a strange kid), my mother used to tell me that if my belly button came 'unscrewed' my bum would fall off. Straight off. Then I would just have a flat bit where my bum used to be. Traumatising? A bit, yes. It took me a pretty long time, sadly, to realize that this was a myth so I took pretty damn good care of that bellybutton until I was at least 11 or 12 years old.

I remember that after we left my father (I was roughly 4 years old), we had an orange VW bug that my mom loathed because it stalled and broke down constantly, however I am pretty sure that she named it Gertie. Why you would name a car that you literally thought was The Anti-Christ I will never know, but I used to go outside and talk to Gertie sometimes, under the assumption that Gertie, of course, was a skilled and active listener. I saw an orange VW Bug today that looked just like our old one and it made me hearken back to when I thought our car was a psychiatrist and I told her all of my little boy problems.

I don't know what to blame for this little bout of juvenile nostalgia today, other than having time to write on my dinner break. I just started to type what I was thinking and this is what came out, virtually unedited. Whatever.

7 comments:

Gillian said...

We got the belly button thing too. I think it is one of those cruel jokes parents do to make their lives more humorous.

Also:
My Dad told my sister and I that our uncle is bald because he stuck his finger in the electrical socket.

Dad and a family friend had us convinced that the reason our friend was missing the end half of a couple fingers was because he used to pick his nose as a child...

My childhood was scarring that way.

Anonymous said...

Mom should have let you play with your belly button, cause if you weren't playing with your belly button, what were you playing with down there?

L

The Renegade Librarian said...

Come on now, Laura, let's keep this G-rated. Sicko.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll pretend I didn't see that last comment. Cute story about the car, Matt. You reminded me of how my mom told me if I peed in the pool the chemicals in the water would make the pee go blue. I believed her but funny how I didn't question why this had not already happened...

Paige

Haley said...

You need a made-in-Vancouver banana guard-
http://www.bananaguard.com

And think pure thoughts. It really is to guard your banana.

AJ Renton said...

My parents never lied to me, they were always very honest and true.

Like when I wanted a cabbage patch doll at the age of 5 or 6, they told me I was too young to take care of a baby. Now that I have one, I realize they were right. I would have been too young.

Jaye said...

Mine were all religious based...German Lutherans did that to you.

The very worst and it is my Achilles heel today: The Devil lives in the basement! Can you see how this might affect one as they grow up? Honestly, I still find it hard to go "underground". You just don't know do you?