Friday, October 31, 2008

the journal

Recently, I found a journal of mine from seven years ago whilst cleaning out my desk and, wow, was it ever embarrassing to go back and read it! I felt an acute sense of humiliation because I can't believe how completely ridiculous I could be and how irrational my fears were. But more importantly, it made me totally angry to read it because it was astounding how self-centred I was then (though probably still am now!); I was pretty much solely concerned with my own comfort and avoiding anything that could potentially cause me any trouble or hardship. Dear Lord, I hope I've changed...

Finding this journal, in tandem with some of the experiences I am having in my life, has illustrated for me that I need to start writing again if only for therapeutic reasons. I think it would be good for me much like it used to be, even if I was a complete idiot back then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so now you have to start running AND writing.... ;)

Anonymous said...

I think you're being a little hard on yourself, matty. You may have been an idiot some of the time (believe me, I remember) but you've always been a good person, and you've always cared about others, especially your friends. That's why we love ya!