Wednesday, August 06, 2008

alone in a Vancouver hotel room...

This little conference trip to Vancouver, while also waiting for my sister to have her baby, has taught me a bit about myself. I have learned that I don't like driving in Vancouver, I am a homebody, and I don't like traveling without Caitlin (both for her company and the fact that she calms my anxieties and helps me function normally). I also hate knowing that I am missing out on fun stuff with my friends at home. In addition, I was forced to miss my two-year anniversary to attend, but that's another story...

The flip side to this is that I have actually learned a lot from this conference, met some very cool librarians, and was fortunate to spend some time with one of my very best buddies, Dave, tonight and I only see him a few times a year. Good times...

I recently opened a Delicious account and I must admit that it's my new addiction (thanks a heap, Catherine!). This thing is really a dream come true for a librarian and I am bookmarking up a storm. I think it has the potential to really add to the reference work I do at GVPL and I have found some really cool stuff, both on my own and links that have been shared with me by my other librarian peeps. I'll keep y'all updated on these developments. If you happen to be on
Delicious and want to scootch up some of my goods, my username is therenegadelibrarian.

I can't wait to get home tomorrow and with any luck there will be a new addition to my family waiting on the other side of the water.

2 comments:

Peter Tyrrell said...

If you use Firefox, you simply *must* get the delicious bookmark add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3615. I've been using it every since it came out - it has long replaced the built in FF bookmarks.

Huge pros:
1. My bookmarks live online, not on a local machine, so they are always synchronized.
2. I have so many bookmarks that organizing by folder just got retarded, and I hated digging down through nested folders to get to a bookmark. Tags make much more sense once the number of bookmarks reach critical mass.
3. Tagging lets me fire and forget: it takes me seconds to slap on a few tags I'm likely to remember later. Plus it prompts me with tags I've used before, and tags other delicious users have marked the same page with. Brilliant.

AJ Renton said...

Hold on... you "met some very cool librarians"???

Okay Matty, I've never called you a liar before, but today might be the first. Since I know you must be kidding, lying, or heavily exaggerating to make a point, I'll let it slide.

Just don't do it again.