Friday, August 15, 2008

absence makes the heart grow fonder...doesn't it?

Well, I hope that's the case for you, my loyal readers, when I am not bringing forth much in the way of blog-a-licious goodness. I have been so occupied with work, the conference, my nephew, and a host of other things that I haven't done much in the way of real posting lately. I have been busy, but that hasn't stopped me from listening to music, reading, and coming across interesting information (Matt Bingham, Internet Harlot) while on the reference desk or at home. And so, I present to you a veritable cornocopia of thoughts, opinions, rants, and raves from the last few weeks or so...


First of all, I would like to say that Caitlin and I celebrated our 2nd anniversary on August 5, though I was away in Vancouver. I won't bother getting too mushy here, but sufficed to say, my wife is incredible and I love her more and more each day. I know that I am a very fortunate and blessed man to have found somoene like her!

*

I am pretty jealous of my friend, Michelle, who got to both see Coldplay in Toronto and see Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland get interviewed in the MuchMusic studios. She testifies that she was 8 to 9 feet away from the pair of them, testimony I can confirm as I have seen video footage. If it were U2, I would have sold my firstborn child to get into that studio.

*

I just finished reading The Appeal by John Grisham and, though a work of popular fiction, it was a stunning indictment of the American legal system, specifically the manner in which state supreme court judges are elected and the private money that flows into their campaigns from big business. I highly recommend this book and you can pick up a copy at your local library.

*

It's comforting to know that it's now legal to name your child Coca-Cola in Sweden. Ahh, those progressive Scandinavians...

*

Speaking of Sweden, check out this story about the whiny-baby Swede who had a tantrum, threw down his bronze medal and stormed off the podium--an absolute disgrace to his country and the Games, as far as I am concerned.

*

I received righteously awesome news yesterday from Jimmy the K, via Paste, regarding U2's new album, which is supposedly titled No Line On The Horizon and is said to be being released on November 14. Read the (very funny) article here. Thanks, as always, to Jimmy for always keeping his ear to the ground and his eyes steadfastly focused on the interwebs!


I am looking forward to the start of the EPL season as well as the Black Crowes concert on September 3 at the Royal Theatre, not to mention spending more time with my nephew Ryan! For the most part, life is good!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

you're right to be jealous, as it was awesome. :P