Monday, July 21, 2008

I admit it!

So, I promised in a previous post that if someone admitted loving something that is musically reprehensible, I would admit something worse than what I did ("Lovefool" by the Cardigans). Two people stepped up to the plate and here are the winners:

My nomination for most embarrassing song is C+C Music Factory's Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now). I am sure it was on Jock Jams or something, and maybe all the sports I watched as a young teenager got to me. --Mike L.


I might still have Aqua's "Aquarium" album around... and I might occasionally play it... and I might occasionally sing "Dr. Jones, Dr. Jones..." --Eric R.

We can all agree that these are both atrocious songs, so, as promised I will admit something that totally embarrasses me as a discerning music fan. I have always been a fan of "Kiss From A Rose" by Seal. Is it a terrible song? Heck yes it is. But there's always been something about it that I've loved. It's a fluffy, stupid, simpering, pansy-ass song, but I dug it the first time I heard it (though I always lied to my friends and said it was for losers and I could never love a song that sucked so badly). There, it's out! I have only ever admitted that to my wife. I am prepared for the impending verbal slaughter that this revelation is sure to invoke. Its okay, folks, I have broad shoulders...

7 comments:

Michelle said...

hehehe Seal...hehehe, good times.

Alright *sigh*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNS4pV9Pls0

that is all.

Anonymous said...

Although the song was used ironically, everytime "The Final Countdown" by Europe is played on Arrested Development, my head starts to bob.

Psst, I've also been known to get down when the annoyingly catchy "Hollaback Girl" is played at various wedding receptions, sock hops, and box socials.

Don't worry, I'll leave my Cool Club membership card at the door before I leave.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was embarrassed about any of the music that I listen to.

I'm NOT a music snob in any way, shape, or form.

I'm fairly certain that my entire music collection makes you sad.

Emily Gusba said...

AHA Seal - awesome. And yes, I love it to.

I also love "Ghetto Supastar." And there may be one or two *whispers* country music song that I like. Including Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places."

I, erm, may have you beat on embarrasing music secrets.

AJ Renton said...

I'm pretty sure you don't want me to write some of the songs that I still appreciate.

But the one that I love most that you probably can't stand is definitely the ol' "Go West Young Man"

Or would it be "Saddle up Your Horses!"

Both amazing songs. :)

JBRO said...

Matty! I can beat all of you's. I am going to the Backstreet Boys concert on Sept 2 here in Calgary. Does I still win if I'm not at all ashamed?

Jonny

PS: how did you get your blog to be formatted so nice?

Anonymous said...

Whenever someone "bravely" admits to liking a cheesy song, I wonder what I'm supposed to say: "Wow, Spartacus, thanks for standing up for that"?

I dunno, I just don't really see the point in being embarrassed about personal music taste. Every "bad" song that someone likes must have a redeeming quality--whether it's catchy, or good to dance to, or whatever.

For example, I'm supposed to be embarrassed that I own the Cats soundtrack (Andrew Lloyd Webber is damned catchy!), LeAnn Rimes' first album (chick can yodel!), and the Titanic soundtrack (the low whistle is gorgeous). But for me, they're all worth listening to.

As long as someone doesn't force me to listen to music I don't like (while I'm stuck in a car, in particular--that is directed at my sister and her Aqua CD), why should I care or decide to deem their taste unworthy? I hate when friends call me a "music snob" because I really don't see that as a compliment.