Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a brief "what I'm listening to" update

I have been getting a bunch of new music from friends and family and I thought I'd share some of my picks:

Mavis Staples--We'll Never Turn Back: essentially a civil rights album, this is a gritty and soulful album from the lead voice of the legendary Staples singers. Producer Ry Cooder gets it all right here, plus his wicked slide is omnipresent (he is one of my favourite slide guitarists).

Mark Knopfler--Sailing to Philadelphia: as a guitarist and songwriter, you really can't go wrong with Knopfler. His fingerstyle electric is mesmerising (the main lick to "What It Is" knocks me on my ass every time I hear it, totally shiver-inducing) and the songs are lovely. Great guest appearances by James Taylor and Van Morrison, among others.

Daniel Lanois--Here Is What Is
: a good album from a Canadian musical/production icon--neat little interview cuts from the movie interspersed with the music. A great take of on his "Where Will I Be" (made famous by Emmylou Harris on her Wrecking Ball album). Some of the music is a bit forgettable, but it's always superbly played.


Soon to come is Coldplay's Viva La Vida, which I am picking up today--look for a review here on the Bing Dynasty after a few listens through...

1 comment:

Malcolm Johnson said...

that tune 'speedway at nazareth' with gillian welch is good stuff.