Wednesday, May 07, 2008

a trip to the local retail outlets

I hate shopping.* I have always hated it. I have never been interested in clothes** and I buy them simply to cover myself. I am not fashionable, I have never been fashionable, and I have very little interest in ever being fashionable--consider it one of my few rebellious streaks. I only own a couple pairs of jeans and I would live in t-shirts, hoodies, and baseball caps if I could. I have always been considered a dorky dresser, and, although I don't always enjoy the insults (who really does), I really don't care. I enjoy looking nice, but I have never gone out of my way to spend much money to do so. It takes people buying clothes for me or a number of holes in my existing clothes to force me into shopping. In addition, I cannot handle the terrible thumping dance music that is played in the majority of trendy stores--I find the music and the stores themselves to be devoid of soul and personality, the antithesis of everything I (hopefully) stand for.

However, with a new job that strongly suggests "dress casual", I have recently had to drop some coin on new shirts and a new pair of shoes. Thankfully, my "guybrarian clothes hunt" was relatively quick and painless. My wife instinctively understands how much I hate shopping and does her best to get me in and out posthaste and for that I thank her. The real problem with the shopping trip rears its head when she is also shopping for clothes. The amount of time spent in the store automatically quintuples because Caitlin likes to try a number of different things on to see what is the absolute best fit/style. I will try to avoid the change rooms, putting the article against my body and saying "looks like it fits to me!" I often won't even look in the mirror, so confident am I in my abilities to choose appropriately fitting attire and so anxious am I to get the hell out of there as fast as possible. Sadly, the same cannot be said for my lovely spouse. When I see her heading toward the the fitting rooms with an armful of clothes, I start sweating and looking for the exits (seriously) because in my head I am thinking "I can't do this anymore; we've been in here for ten minutes and I am suffocating. And this music SUCKS!" I see this not as Caitlin's problem, God bless her heart, but mine. I constantly attempt to extricate myself from situations that heighten my agitation, be it shopping, big groups, or post-church small talk. All these send me running for the nearest exit and it takes discipline for me to actually persevere and not freak out. Being married to Caitlin is good for me because she gives me the kick in the pants when needed, but also knows that there are certain times not to push me because of my actual anxiety issues. Sadly, she seldom excludes me from shopping trips, especially when she's on the hunt for a new article of clothing or outfit! For some reason, she always wants my opinion...*sigh*

I must say, I have enjoyed dressing "professionally" for work and I look pretty snazzy, if I do say so myself. Thus I consider that the shopping trip was not just necessary, but also fruitful--I got the clothes, but the added bonus is that I actually like them and the way I look in them. With any luck, it also means that I will not have to head back out to said retail outlets for at least a year or two, if not more!



* I love shopping for music, books, sports-related stuff, outdoor stuff (i.e. MEC), and guitar gear. If I have money, that is. I have a real thing for backpacks and other tote-bags...

** With the exception of socks, especially Smart Wools, which I converted to last year before I left for Europe. And TML and LFC jerseys--they're sweet and I have two of each.

4 comments:

The SPro said...

Matt, I feel for you...
I have a very strong dislike for shopping. Good to hear that you found clothes that you like, though!
:]

bethy said...

i usually buy clothes at thrift stores, where i've noticed they tend to play "hits of the 80's and 90's" and that sort of thing. not quite as bad as "terrible thumping dance music" because at least you can sing along.

impactmatt said...

Hey Matt...

the adventures never cease!!! Bring your ipod and a good book and lose yourself in it! But I feel your pain though... good to hear that you are looking snazzy now!!! :)

Michelle said...

women must have time to try things on, sizes vary from different manufacturers, this is a well known fact.

hehe..I like that we both enjoy shopping for bags, just different kinds of bags :P