Monday, April 07, 2008

MONEY! Plus, an update.

Word up, my faithful readers! I am leaching some free wifi here at the neighbourhood Safeway before I go grocery shopping and thought that I would drop y'all a quick line via the Dynasty. Regarding the title, here are some things that I think are absolute MONEY lately:

Albums:

Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet--after cajoling me forever, I finally gave in to Jimmy the K and ripped this album off of him. It is GOLD! Traces of the Replacements, R.E.M., Big Star, Pylon, etc., plus some smokin' good guitar playing and Sweet's well-written songs. Definitely a keeper!

Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss--the unlikely pairing of the Hammer of the Gods and this bluegrass ingenue has produced an album of unparalleled beauty, thanks in part to the production of T-Bone Burnett. Every track on here is a winner, though my favourite has got to the be re-working of Page and Plant's "Please Read the Letter", the original of which can be found on the 1998 P & P album Walking into Clarksdale.

The Last Broadcast by Doves: These guys are just as good as Coldplay or Travis and this album is the proof. If you like quirky, atmospheric Britrock, check out this band/album!

Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings by Counting Crows: simply put, it's brilliant. Look for a full review soon...

Food:

Red Pepper Jelly: this stuff is absolutely fantastic on sandwiches.

Old Dutch Baked tortillas: so much less fat than normal tortilla chips and they go great with my favourite Southwest salsa!

People:

Jimmy the K and Hilary: a combination of incredibly cool and wonderfully generous, I have been digging the sweetness of the Kingsleys since I have been home. I wish the rotten brats weren't moving back to London! I am going to be missing them...

CMcT: This guy is absolutely wicked with the humour, has incredible guitar chops, is always willing to help me out, and throws great parties! C-Note gets the Bing Man's "money" vote!

TSpray: anyone who bestows the name "Bingzilla" on me is way beyond awesome...

The Deet: I am a bit sad he's in Maui right now


Miscellaneous:

Having my own place again

Good headphones

Wah pedals, especially when I am operating them

Cycling

Our new movable island, which increases our counter-space in the kitchen by a ton!


So, we should have internet access and landline on Thursday and we are about 3/4 unpacked at our new place--things are settling down nicely. It has been great having our own space again and we are loving our new home. We are both busy with things at church, working, music, and friends, but we are happy and healthy. When we get internet access at home, look for more blog posts here on the Bing Dynasty. I have been listening to so much music lately that I should throw some reviews up on the site. We'll see...

3 comments:

James Kingsley said...

aw shucks humphrey.we love you two heaps as well. we gotta say we had our fingers crossed our paths would overlap in the forest city for at least a year. alas...

as per mr. sweet. from "divine intervention" to "nothing lasts" that album is the bomb. it covers pretty much ever emotion out there with the perfect riff, harmony or lyric to boot.

as sweet encourages in the liner notes: don't be afraid to play it loud.

Emily Gusba said...

The Last Broadcast is amazing. Good call, dude.

Anonymous said...

For something completely different...

That guitar work you laid down in song 2 set 1 on Sunday night was over-the-top, kick-ass and about as Hendricks-esque as I've seen out of you. The rock gods are smiling down on you, bro.

Randy