Monday, December 05, 2005

character and wisdom

Over the past couple years, I have really been pondering the value of wisdom and character (as in their inherent value, not whether or not they are valuable. That is a moot point!)and praying for their development in my life, though exactly how to pray for it and how it is developed I am unsure. I feel like I am quite low on both of these, but I don't consider myself a shallow person. It is more that I talk more when I should be listening and within me resides a spirit of anger and frustration which is not conducive to building either of them.

I am amazed at how many references to wisdom are found in the Scriptures. The book of Proverbs alone is absolutely chock full of them, not to mention the rest of the Bible. I am very unwise, seldom thinking as much as I should before speaking and believing that I have the answers needed for life's questions. God's wisdom and man's wisdom are polar opposites and I am beginning to learn that now.

Character is a tough one for me because I don't feel like I am devoid of it, but rather I need far more than I have. Trials don't build your character as much as they test what character is already there and only God knows the degree of character we each possess because it cannot be quantitatively measured. Character comes down to the choices we make, how we treat others, and how we react in times of trial. Speaking for myself, there's a long way to go, but I believe we all have a lot to learn about character and that God is never finished with us.

I would appreciate hearing any thoughts that may help me gather a further understanding or insight into these things because I am convinced that you all know more than myself about this.

No comments: