Thursday, October 13, 2005

Running

I spend much of my time on my blog reviewing music, books, and movies so I thought I would take a different tack and tell anyone who reads this what kind of headspace I am in. The title of this entry has a number of different meanings to me right now With the teachers on strike, you can imagine how busy and stressful work is for me right now. I have no place to take the kids until 2:45 every day when we get our site (we share our room with a pre-school who uses it until we get it) and so I am essentially living on our bus and improvising the day's activities as I can. So far, I must say, I have done a great job. The kids have had good days filled with pretty fun activities and for the most part the weather has been very cooperative, which has made life a bit easier. But it is hard because I am always on the move and under pressure to give the kids a good day with not much money or prep time. And I wonder how much longer I can keep it up if the teachers continue with their job action Work is just very stressful and I feel like escaping from the grind because my job takes up such a huge part of my life (essentially in the neighbourhood of 12 hours per day) and working with children, if it hasn't already, is burning me out. I would love to just run away and never come back...

The other thing is that with work demanding so much, plus attempting to have some sort of social life, relaxation time, and plan a wedding with my beautiful fiancee whilst thinking about my future grad school plans for next year, I have COMPLETELY neglected my running. For those who do not know, I am an avid runner and spend (or should I say spent) much of my free time training for races over the last year and a half. I have problems with my left hip flexor, but I need to get into rehabilitating it so that I can get back to training and racing. I have a free gym pass to Commonwealth (I work in the complex) so really I shouldn't be making excuses. I haven't raced since April (drugged myself with painkillers to finish) and I really miss it. Running de-stresses me, is good for my physical health, but even more importantly is good for my emotional and mental state of mind. I pray, think, and observe the beauty of God's creation when I run. Sometimes it is hard to get motivated, but when I am in the zone and running well there are few things in the world that give me as much pleasure and reward me in so many different ways. I admitted to my mother the other day that I have been struggling with depression (an ongoing struggle with me mostly related to my job) and the first thing she asked me was "have you been running?" I admitted that I hadn't and she advised me to get going on it because even she has observed how strongly it affects my well-being.

Anyway, I am not trying to sound like a crybaby or a victim because I am not. I just needed to vent for my adoring legions of dedicated readers. I have a wonderful life full of incredible gifts. The Lord has given more than I could ever ask for and for that I give Him thanks and praise. I am among men most richly blessed!

1 comment:

James Kingsley said...

i'm gonna do it. i'm gonna make the joke everyone has wanted to make but is too embarrased to. here goes:

"Run, Forrest, RUN!"

And bing-daddy, you do the same.

runnin' to stand still,
jk