Monday, October 31, 2005

au revoir HBC

I heard recently the disturbing rumour that Canada's oldest and most beloved company (no, NOT Timmy Ho's), the Hudson's Bay Company, is being bought out by an American investor. My question: why the heck don't any rich Canadians want to invest in their country? With little protest, we are being taken over by the Americans and it does not have to be that way. But Canadian investors obviously do not care enough about their country to invest significantly in it (I realize this to be a gross generalization, but I am angry so I don't care. After all, it's my blog and I can generalize if I so desire!). Is there any way to save the HBC? Being a cynical, bitchy, pessimist I would have to say no. But I will lament the fact that Canada is slowly slipping away and for the most part Canadians are indifferent about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rich Canadians? There is a reason most of our customers come from elsewhere in the world.

Anonymous said...

screw the hbc - those limey imperialist bastards. btw...t ho's has belonged to uncle sam for years now. bing, as i'm more of a cynic/pessimist/realist than you, i know that canada doesn't amount to anything more than lines on a map and is even a pathetic excuse for an imagined community...put away your violin - br

Anonymous said...

MEC shoulda bought it!