Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Matty's Playlist EPs vol. 6

'Over the Hills and Far Away' (live) - Led Zeppelin (How The West Was Won, disc 1): I literally thought I was going to blow the speakers on my stereo the first time I played this incredibly live album and especially this track. If you listen to this at a high volume or through headphones, when the drums come in, it literally sounds like cannons going off. John Bonham is massive on this track; I still shake my head at the awe-inspiring power of his playing whenever I listen to Zeppelin. Absolutely incredible. You can hear the hum of Jimmy Page's amp as he starts the gently picked intro before Robert Plant comes in with delicate opening lyrics. And then...well, I'll let you hear it for yourself. Buckle up.

'What It Is' - Mark Knopfler (Sailing to Philadelphia): Mark Knopfler is one of my guitar playing heroes, executing everything with no plectrum--the stuff that this guy can do with his fingerpicking is really stellar. I've always loved Dire Straits, but this might be my favourite song of his, guitar-wise; the riff is so catchy and he plays it so cleanly (I've tried time and time again and I can't even come close to approximating it). I love the warmth of his guitar tone, how every guitar line he plays is literally perfect and let's face it, the guy's a great storyteller. Also, have I mentioned the guitar playing is killer?

'Villains' - The Verve Pipe (Villains): The Verve Pipe were, to me, a second-rate (or arguably third-rate) band who were famous for two things: 1. their crappy song 'The Freshman' and 2. being confused for The Verve, an amazing band (don't get me started about Urban Hymns!). However, this song is a vicious, no holds barred rocker that starts with a very quiet catchy little guitar riff with hushed vocals that then blows up into an almost strident stomper. The guitars are loud, there's some feedback, and the lead singer yells some. I like it. Nothing particularly innovative about it, it just is balls-to-the-wall rock and roll. Too bad the rest of their output is so bland and boring.

'Curse of the Currents' - Said The Whale (Howe Sounds/Taking Abalonia): A friend of mine gave me some tracks by Said The Whale, a Vancouver band, and they were quite good. However, this song was by far the standout, a melancholy song about a nautical disaster (thank you for that language, Mr. Downie), complete with beautiful harmony vocals and simple guitar strumming; all of this is complimented by tinkling piano, soft metronomic rim shots, and sparse tympani swells. Lovely.

'Tampa to Tulsa' - The Jayhawks (Rainy Day Music): This sorrowful sounding track from Rainy Day Music gets a lot of repeats when I spin the disc because of the harmonies between Gary Louris and Tim O'Reagan (the song's author and the drummer). It's just a flat-out stunner of a song, with its Nashville-lonesome harmonies, harmonica, and gently strummed guitars. O'Reagan's somewhat ragged vocal is the perfect fit and the song always reminds me of being on the road; it's a traveling song (as evident by the title and the lyrics). The Jayhawks are a staple of the Bingham household and thus this is a fitting closer for this EP.

Listen to this playlist here.


2 comments:

Malcolm Johnson said...

thanks for the intro to Tampa to Tulsa. lovely song.

The Renegade Librarian said...

Glad you liked it! The Jayhawks are a stellar band, dude.