Thursday, January 06, 2011

Matty's Playlist EPs vol. 4

My fourth playlist EP is a 4-song mixed bag that truly represents the different artists I've been listening to over the past couple weeks. Enjoy.

'Gimme Shelter' - The Rolling Stones (Let It Bleed):
What is there to say about this legendary song? I don't even know where to to begin. Along with 'Honky Tonk Women', this monster of an opening track from Let It Bleed is my favourite of the Stones' "classic" songs. Revered critic Greil Marcus wrote in Rolling Stone magazine (back when it was actually good!) that it was the "greatest ever rock and roll recording" and I find it hard to disagree. From the spooky opening, to the immortal descending riff, to Keef's roughshod soloing, to Merry Clayton's earthshattering counterpoint vocals (she reportedly refused to sing the second verse until she got paid because the Stones were notorious for not paying their session musicians!), this song has everything and more. The lyrics are devastating and always remind me of the nasty ending to the 60s with the Stones' 1969 concert at Altamont where a young man was shot by Hell's Angels right in front of the stage, which can be seen in the movie Gimme Shelter. I have heard numerous live recordings of this song, still a staple of their live set, but nothing touches the majestic power and perfection of the studio recording. A masterpiece. Give it a spin.

'Size Too Small' - Sufjan Stevens (Seven Swans): I love this song with it's gentle acoustic guitar and cryptic lyrics that seem to deal with friendship. I've been listening to Seven Swans a lot lately and along with Illinoise, it is my favourite of Stevens' albums. Yet as I listen, I always play this song at least a few times. I find it haunting and for some reason it even causes me to squirm a bit, but I don't really understand why.

'Through & Through & Through' - Joel Plaskett (Three: Disc 1): Funky, white man soul to the core, this little ditty gets my toes tapping and flat-out makes me happy. Great female gang backing vocals, too.

'Twisted Logic' - Coldplay (X & Y): The closing track of X & Y, 'Twisted Logic' is not a well-known song in the Coldplay canon, but it is one of my absolute favourite of their songs. It has a very similar drum-heavy feel 'Politik', the opening on track on their 2002 album A Rush Of Blood To The Head as Will Champion attempts to usurp John Bonham's title of King of Big Drum Mountain. Everything about this song is BIG: guitars, bass, vocals; simple, but rad. It finally builds to a crescendo/finale and then just ends before the lovely sounds of the not-so-secret, not-so-hidden hidden track, 'Kingdom Come', are ushered in. A great ending to a monumentally underrated album.

Listen to this playlist here. I always enjoy your comments and will even appreciate it if you think my choices suck--go ahead and tell me!

No comments: