Saturday, June 26, 2010

odds 'n' ends for June 26, 2010

It's about time I got a post out into the blogosphere! Here we go...


I have enjoyed reading my friend Michelle's experiences watching the World Cup (which can be found here and here). It was awesome to see her when I was in Montreal!

*

Courtesy of my friend Michael, from Cincinnati.com:

The police report on Darrell Bess was succinct.

Clothing description: Naked.

Offenses: Public indecency, theft, carrying a concealed weapon.

According to police and court records, Bess, 52, was found unclothed standing at the men’s room sink in the Cincinnati Public Library by police at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. When they searched Bess’ bag, police said they found a 4-pound chunk of cheese allegedly stolen from Silverglade's Cheese & Sausage In Findlay Market.

He also had two knives and some DVDs that belonged to the Vine Street library branch.

Police arrested him Wednesday on charges of public indecency; carrying a concealed weapon; knowingly trespassing; theft and receiving stolen property. A judge ordered Best to stay away from the library.

Bess, who is homeless, has been arrested numerous times.

In court on Thursday, Bess was fully clothed.

This is a bit of a slice of what being a librarian in a downtown public library can be like. I have yet to come upon naked patrons, but we've tossed patrons out for other indecent acts that I won't recount here--I'm sure you can use your imaginations...

*

Currently reading: Churched by Matthew Paul Turner (which would have been my full name had I not kept my dad's name after my parents split up--my mom's maiden name is Turner): A hysterical look at how a man found faith despite being raised in a strict fundamentalist Baptist home. I started laughing out loud from the very first paragraph. Hilarious, sad, brilliant!

Currently listening to (album): Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons. My stepfather introduced me to this album and I absolutely love it. By turns intimate and epic, it's a rootsy rock album that, for me, evokes Fleet Foxes and other folksy Americana music.

Currently listening to (song): 'Copied Keys' off of Kathleen Edwards' Back To Me album. I am obsessed with Colin Cripps' slide guitar playing (he is a favourite axeman of mine, for sure!) on this song as well as the highly melancholy lyrics. I'm pretty sure I've listened to the song at least 30 times over the past week or so. I can't get enough of it.

*

I ate some of a Terry's Chocolate Orange this evening as I pecked away at this blog post and remembered how much I love them--so good. I really do love dark chocolate...

*

I purchased the U2 360 At The Rose Bowl DVD when I was away and have had a chance to watch the show in its entirety. I still don't understand why they didn't include 'Breathe', the concert's opening song, as part of the show proper instead of including it as a bonus cut on the second disc. Other than some moments where the music does not sync with what the musicians are actually playing (did you guys think I wouldn't notice? C'mon!), this is a stunning visual and musical document of a groundbreaking tour for the boys. I highly recommend it, especially if you weren't able to make it to any of the tour dates. I was fortunate enough to see the Vancouver date upon my arrival back from Maui in late October and it was quite something, though the sound wasn't so great as it was in BC Place. Still, good times!

*

Speaking of U2, here is Muse with special guest The Edge playing a killer version of 'Where The Streets Have No Name' at the 2010 Glastonbury Festival.

*

This little funny is courtesy of Sarah. I've felt this way before, that's for sure!

1 comment:

michael said...

naked, carrying a concealed weapon ...

hmmm.