Saturday, January 23, 2010

My life boring?? You must be kidding me...

I was talking to a friend the other night and when she asked me how I was doing I replied that I was well, enjoying my job and my home. She looked at me somewhat distastefully and said something along the lines of "that's the last thing I want, the nine-to-five life and all the boredom that comes with it!" I smiled, we continued our conversation for awhile longer, and then parted ways. I thought about her reaction this week and realized that though my life appears quite conventional (and I guess one could argue it is) I've never considered it as even remotely staid or banal. I have the most incredible community of people around me, I am constantly surrounded by music and art that stimulates me, I have a job that challenges and motivates me, and I feel like I'm (to borrow from Donald Miller) 'living a good story.' Yes, I have a mortgage, I work a nine-to-five, and I live in the suburbs, however, each day contains unforgettable conversations, laughter, songs, writing, and interactions which make my life anything but monotonous. Appearances can be deceiving--my life is the farthest thing from being tedious or uninspiring!

1 comment:

AJ Renton said...

Though I often comment to make people laugh or give Matty a rise, this won't be along those lines.

Matty, I couldn't agree more with your post. Though you sometimes feel tired, and life can always throw you a few curveballs, at this moment in time, I look at your life and am both impressed a slightly covetous of the balance, joy, and fulfillment you are currently finding. I raise my glass to you for those things.

Boring, no. Wise and content... YES!

Keep it going my friend.