Monday, August 31, 2009

an evening with Donald Miller (and Susan Isaacs!)

I am pretty stoked that one of my favourite authors, Donald Miller, is coming to speak here in Victoria on September 16th-- and at my church no less! Miller is the author of some of my favourite books, including Blue Like Jazz, Searching For God Knows What, Across Painted Deserts, and To Own A Dragon. It is going to be a real privilege to be able to hear an author like Miller speak to us about his forthcoming book A Million Miles In A Thousand Years as well some other things. Along with C.S. Lewis and a couple other authors, Miller's writing has had an indelible influence on my theological thinking as well as helping me to determine the kind of life I want to lead.



Don's ace-in-the-hole on this book tour is having Susan Isaacs open for him. A few months ago, I read her book, Angry Conversations With God--it was both laugh out loud funny and brutally honest, detailing the unrealistic expectations she put on God and herself. I know at least one other person very close to me (to whom I recommended it) who has really taken the book to heart and whom it has moved toward a better understanding of God. Susan is an actor and comedienne who has had parts on TV shows such as Seinfeld, The Drew Carey Show, and My Name Is Earl as well as films like Scrooged and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.



It's going to be a hilarious and entertaining night when Don and Susan bring their show to Victoria! If you're interested in tickets, click here. Hope to see you there!

2 comments:

DP said...

Can this book be found at your local VPL Branch? bahahaa

seriosuly though. I willl look into it. Sounds like my kind of read!

The Renegade Librarian said...

DP, I checked VPL's catalogue and they don't seem to have the book. However, I think you'd love it! Ask SP about it...