Monday, March 16, 2009

a holy stubbornness

As a result of hearing my friend Randy speak last night at The Place, I was really made to think about the idea of standing up for what you think is right even if you believe the odds are against you (and/or you have no real allies)--as he called it, "a holy stubbornness." I put my iPod on shuffle this morning, which I never do, and this beautiful haunting song by Pearl Jam came on. The song is called "Indifference" and it is the closing song on their seminal Vs album. I remember being very moved the lyrics the first time I heard the song and this morning, after listening to Randy last night, it was like hearing the song again for the first time:

I will light the match this morning so I won't be alone.
Watch as she lies silent for soon that will be gone.
Oh, I will stand arms outstretched. Pretend I'm free to roam.
Oh, I will make my way through one more day in hell.

How much difference does it make?

I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
Oh, I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.
Oh, I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind.
Hey, I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.

How much difference does it make?
Mmm, how much difference does it make?
How much difference...

I'll swallow poison until I grow immune.
I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room.

How much difference...
How much difference does it make?


I must note that this is one of the finest vocal performances of Ed Vedder's career and the song is really worth a listen.

2 comments:

Susan said...

This is one of my favourite Pearl Jam tunes too and one that always brings the goosebumps.
Thanks for sharing Matt!
Susan S.

michael said...

This has often been (and may end up being) my favorite Pearl Jam song.