Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day: post number 500!

Well, I have finally made it to my 500th post on the Dynasty! Thanks to all my loyal readers over the past 3 and a half years--the reason I keep doing this is because when I stop, even for a brief period of time, I take a lot of flack for it! So, thanks again y'all--it's really flattering that people are interested in what I have to say and my opinions/thoughts/struggles.

I have been listening to some really good tunes lately, other than just the new U2 album and thought I would briefly share. Recommended by my good friend Amy K, I decided to check out Neko Case's Middle Cyclone, which was just recently released and it is a truly stunning album. Case's is a name I've heard bandied about by hipster music friends of mine, as well as in Paste Magazine, so I procured a copy of the album from my step-father and had a listen. I must say that Amy K has excellent taste because this album is great. I love Case's vocals (smoky and sophisticated is how Allmusic describes them, which is apt) and she is a heck of a songwriter to boot!

Thanks to my good friend MJ, writer/magazine editor/surfer extraordinaire, I have also totally fallen in love with the music of M. Ward. I listened to his album Hold Time streaming on NPR and I was blown away by his command of the guitar and his brilliant vocals and songwriting. He is the kind of artist who has managed to take all his influences, including his love of the music of the 50s and 60s, and synthesize them into something unique and beautiful that is all his own. Highly, highly recommended. I am stoked to get copies of his albums sometime this week!

I have made another foray into reading fiction and am engrossed in Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. Other than having a bit too many "corset buster" elements for my liking, it's a very interesting novel that looks at the building of a great cathedral in the 12th century and follows the lives of the characters involved. I've also been reading Is Christianity Good For The World?, a reprint of a debate between world-renowned atheist (or has he calls himself 'anti-theist') Christopher Hitchens and theologian Douglas Wilson, which was first published in Christianity Today. I'll refrain from any comments/critiques other to say that I have enjoyed this little 67 page volume very much. Also, Hitchens does not come across as a particularly nice person, regardless of whether or not I agree with his ideas!

I have a huge list of books to read, now that I am using Shelfari and I hope to get more reading done after we are moved into our new place--it's a space more conducive to quiet time, whether that be reading, writing, thinking or praying.

That's all for post number 500----thanks again for tuning in for so long!


P.S. Congratulations to Martin Brodeur on becoming the winningest goaltender in NHL history.

2 comments:

James Kingsley said...

happy 500 buddy. here's to 500 more.

Eric said...

Case and M.Ward are two of my favorites. Check out M.Ward's earlier "Transfiguration of Vincent" - great stuff. Though Hold Time is definitely a great disc as well.

Congrats on 500!