Monday, January 19, 2009

a paean to libraries and librarians

I have been reading a lot of Anne Lamott lately, which I have thoroughly enjoyed, and she had the following to say about libraries and librarians:

"It was my mother who taught me how to wander through the racks of the...library, and wander through a book, letting it take me where it would. She and my father took me to the library every week when I was little. One of her best friends was the librarian. They both taught me that if you insist on having a destination when you come into a library, you're shortchanging yourself. They read to live, the way they also went to the beach, or ate delicious food. Reading was like breathing fresh ocean air, or eating tomatoes from old man Grbac's garden. My parents, and librarians along the way, taught me about the space between words; about the margins, where so many juicy moments of life and spirit and friendship could be found. In a library, you can find small miracles and truth, and you might find something that will make you laugh so hard that you will get shushed, in the friendliest way. I have found sanctuary in libraries my whole life, and there is sanctuary there now, from the war, from the storms of our families and our own minds. Libraries are like mountains or meadows or creeks: sacred space."

Very cool.

3 comments:

Eric said...

For me it was the book section of the Salvation Army.

Jaye said...

The Bobolink Bookmobile was my sacred space.

That was a great quote Bingman and one you should bring up many times at meetings, please. Just keep hitting them with it.

Especially: ...if you insist on having a destination when you come into a library, you're shortchanging yourself. Browse, browse, browse.

Malcolm Johnson said...

nice.