Saturday, July 12, 2008

reflections on the first week

Well, I am a half hour early for work today as a result of carpooling with my stepfather so I thougth I would take the time to reflect on the first week on the job thus far. It's been a very interesting week and being the newbie has both advantages ("I didn't actually know that, I'm new") and disadvantages ("I didn't actually know that, I'm new"). Since I sometimes find it hard ask for help, it's been a humbling experience to be having to ask my colleagues for advice, ask questions about established protocols, and occasionally throw out the "help!" plea. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw on and they are only too happy to share and help me along as I find my feet--the quality of librarians at the Central branch is second to none, as far as I'm concerned. In addition, I have yet to have any patrons tear a strip off me nor have I pissed off any of my co-workers, to the best of my knowledge--both good things.

I have also realized how much I love being a librarian and working in libraries. I approach them with with more wonder now than ever before. The idea of the world's information being at my fingertips and having access to almost any fact I could imagine is so cool--being the gatekeeper of the information and helping others to access it is really a privilege and I have a lot of fun doing it. I have no regrets about the career I chose and every day I learn something new and interesting--not everyone can say that about their jobs.

*

In other work-related news, I spent the last two hours of my shift the other day walking around with my fly gaping open. I am SUCH a professional...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nerd Alert!

Okay, okay, I admit that working in the library is fun, and being the "gatekeeper," although it sounds especially nerdy when you put it that way, is kinda cool.

Congrats, Matty! Have a great time spreading the wisdom of the ages far and wide.

Anonymous said...

you ARE a gatekeeper, dork-face!