Saturday, June 28, 2008

weekend thoughts

It has been very gratifying to have the congratulations pouring in regarding my new position at GVPL--everyone seems genuinely very happy for me. As is normal for me, my mind is spinning as I come to grips with the fact that I've got a real gig now so I better make sure that I bring my guybrarian "A-game" as I tackle all the challenges that this position is sure to bring.

*

Over the past couple days I have been listening to Pearl Jam's Riot Act album, which is one of the most interesting arty hard-rock albums of the past decade, in my opinion. They have certainly written catchier songs and bigger anthems than that which you find on Riot Act, but as far as their albums go I tend to visit this one at least as much as Vs. or Vitalogy, if not more. I really enjoy the way the album flows, the different textures of it, and the guitar interplay between Gossard and McCready, as well as the way in which it feels like the individual creative voice of each of the five members is heard.

*

I had Marble Slab ice cream for the first time in a long time last night (after some delicious Noodle Box) and let me tell you, did it ever go down nicely--Double Dark Chocolate with Skor mixed in, my favourite. I also kept with a long standing tradition and spilled a nice dollop of it right near my crotch whilst eating.

*

I am reading a really great novel called Late Nights On Air by Elizabeth Hay, a Canadian author. It's strange to read a work of fiction because I so seldom do. In fact, I cannot even remember the last novel I read before this. Telling you, my readers, this is totally pointless, but I thought you might be interested.

*

The finals of Euro 2008 is tomorrow as the team I've been pulling for, Spain, takes on Germany. Spain has a number of Liverpool players on the team, hence why I have been supporting them throughout the tournament. I am stoked that they made it to the final and doubly stoked that I FINALLY get to watch a match. I don't have TV and I am constantly working or otherwise engaged and thus I have not been able to see one match. I've been reduced to following the gamecasts (which are totally sweet!) on Soccernet.com from home and work and so it's going to be a real treat to watch after a tasty breakfast tomorrow morning.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: