Saturday, June 14, 2008

inneresting (as Neil Young would say)

If you have any kind of opinion on Facebook at all, either love or hate, this article on Social Networking Anxiety Disorder will be of interest to you. Personally, I laughed out loud...

*

According to this post on the Wired blog network, Encyclopedia Britannica is going the way of Wikipedia...sort of.

*

I am reading Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield, now a music journalist for Blender, and I am totally jazzed about it. This from Publishers Weekly:

A celebratory eulogy for life in "the decade of Nirvana," rock critic Sheffield's captivating memoir uses 22 "mix tapes" to describe his being "tangled up" in the "noisy, juicy, sparkly life" of his wife, Renee, from the time they met in 1989 to her sudden death from a pulmonary embolism in 1997. Each chapter begins with song titles from the couple's myriad mixes—"Tapes for making out, tapes for dancing, tapes for falling asleep"—and uses them to describe a beautiful love story: "a real cool hell-raising Appalachian punk-rock girl" meeting in graduate school a "hermit wolfboy, scared of life, hiding in my room with my records," and how they built a tender relationship on the music they loved, from the Meat Puppets to Hank Williams. Their bond as soul mates makes his reaction to her death deeply moving: "I had no voice to talk with because she was my whole language." But Sheffield's wonderful, often hilarious and lovingly detailed stories about their early romance and their later domestic life show how they created their own personal "mix tape" of life in the same way a music mix tape "steals moments from all over the musical cosmos and splices them into a whole new groove."

This is one of the best music-related books I have ever read. Highly recommended, especially if you're a music geek like me (Jimmy, Malcolm, and Webster, I'm talking to you!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Point #3 under the symptoms of SNAD made me howl with laughter...I wonder if these groups actually exist.

James Kingsley said...

"love is a mix tape" is now on hold and waiting for me at the LPL, I'll let you know what i think shortly.

and dude- that book of lists is way too rad! thanks again eh?!