Tuesday, May 27, 2008

a startling revelation...

Caitlin and I watched Across the Universe last night and we thought it was all right. The film got me thinking about the Beatles and their music. I would not consider myself a Beatles fan, but I definitely don't actively dislike their music; rather, I just always have thought that they were a bit overrated, especially as a live band (an opinion which I continue to stand by). What I realized last night, as I listened to all these classic Beatles songs woven throughout the movie, is that I think the songs are great, but I tend to prefer other artists playing them rather than the original versions. This is not true in all cases--for example, the original version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (with the guitar solo credited to "L'Angelo Mysterioso" who we all know is Eric "Slowhand" Clapton) is easily the finest and probably will always be my favourite Beatles cut.

I realize to many people what I have just written is as good as sacrilege/heresy, but that's honestly how I feel about the Beatles. They are legends, they changed music forever, and few, if any, artists have influenced rock and roll as much as they have, but I just can't bring myself to idolize them because it is expected of me as a music fan. If this changes my music-loving friends' opinion of me, I guess I'll have to deal with it (sorry Jimmy and Malc!).

Besides, you're either a Beatles or a Stones guy and I am far too badass to be Beatles guy...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just always have thought that they were a bit overrated, especially as a live band (an opinion which I continue to stand by).

When did you see the Beatles play live?

michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
michael said...

This post, along with your Zeppelin post, seems to indicate that you don't like pop music. The Beatles were a pop/rock band (kinda like Bon Jovi is a pop/metal band). I think too many people forget that. They were aiming at mainstream appeal.

The Stones are a rock/blues band. They never aimed at being mainstream. They have always aimed at being rebels.

It seems to me that the Bing likes (loves, yearns, needs) to rock and it is therefore little surprise that he's not a Beatles fan.

As for comparing the two bands live. You would have to take shows from a similar time frame and compare them. Live rock-n-roll performance has evolved substantially since (and because of) the Beatles and the Stones started out. I'm going to guess - because the Beatles haven't performed since I was about 6 months old - that both bands kicked ass for their time.

Anonymous said...

Far, far too badass, Matty. Glad to see you're keepin' it real.

chris said...

I used to alternate between buying a Stones album and a Beatles album...

James Kingsley said...

question: do you own abbey road?
answer: most likely not

and if you wanna talk about "rockin' out" you need look no further than helter skelter...