Wednesday, April 23, 2008

and now, for a very special update...

As many of you know, I have just been hired (finally!) by Greater Victoria Public Library, an organization for whom I worked for eight years between 1995 and 2003. I am very excited to be hired as a professional by this organization and I think I will enjoy working there and contributing. They seemed pretty happy that I applied and I was told that I interviewed very well. Hopefully this is the beginning of an enjoyable and fruitful career.

*

I was at Game Six of the Victoria Salmon Kings’ opening round playoff series against the Bakersfield Condors last night. A win for Victoria would mean advancing to the next round of the playoffs against Utah. The game was EXTREMELY sloppily played by Victoria and it took overtime for them to defeat the Condors 6-5, despite having a 61-25 (!) advantage in shots. At least I got my money’s worth because it was an exciting game despite their shoddy defensive play. The experience was made even more enjoyable by some hilarious (read: terrible) dancing by JP and Randy after every goal (and by JP during every single stop in play—yikes!). I wish I had brought my camera to capture some video of this (essentially) a-rhythmic full-body flailing, but, much to my chagrin, I left it at home. Andy "Superfan" Renton was in fine form, shaking his noisemakers and calling all the players "babe" like he always does (as in "nice work Chris, keep up the hard work, babe!"--ridiculously stupid sounding, believe me) as well as screaming at refs (though I can guarantee you he was outdone by Randy, as in Randy my pastor, and his ref-berating caterwauling for much of the night). Caitlin and I spent the night stifling our laughter at the "dancing" (really, we need quotes around the word because I don't even know if it qualifies as such) and giggling at the cast of characters around us--we also bought and enjoyed a rare Coke after some popcorn (thanks, Sarah!). Needless to say, a good time was had by all!

*

I have actually been practicing my guitar a little bit lately, trying to nail something that I have never been able to do before. I really don't enjoy it, but it's nice to be making some headway in my playing.

*

My friend Michelle passed out on the top of the CN tower, but the story is hilarious. Read it here.

*

I wonder what I am going to do this summer, other than work? I have no real plans other than spending as much time at Durrance Lake as possible, especially since I now live so close to it. I also hope to do a lot of cycling, some keeping it real (no surprise there!), and some rockin' out. Any suggestions, loyal readers?

*

I've been on a huge Black Crowes kick lately and I have no idea what got me started on it; I have been going back through all their albums and listening to them repeatedly. I think the reason that I have been listening to them so much is that so much music is so produced and image-driven, but they kind of are the antithesis of that. Sure, they have an image, that of being hippy southern rockers, but that is just their natural M.O. They get up on stage in their street clothes and blow most other synthetic bands of today right off the stage with their sheer skill and soul--this a a band with real grit, heart and soul. Suggested listening to get you started, if you're interested: The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. Perhaps they aren't everyone's cup of tea--those who think that the majority of the stuff that gets played on MuchMusic or MTV is just "the greatest" need not apply...

*

I am not particularly ambitious. Oh sure, there are things I want to do and I would not consider myself a layabout. But when it comes to my career, I have very little interest in "climbing the ladder"--I want to have a job I enjoy, that allows me to both enjoy things I like to do, that doesn't involve lots of travel (sans family, that is. I love to travel), and that provides me with enough income to be able to give lots of money away to those who really need it. In a nutshell, I want to help those less fortunate than me and enjoy the people I love--my family and friends. I figure if I can do that, I will feel like I have fulfilled what God has me down here for.

*

My father, Billzebub, the Dark Prince of Port Alberni keeps having this continuing argument with me via e-mail that Port Alberni (???) is better than Victoria. Dad, I just want to say for the record, here on this very public forum, that it isn't. Keep dreaming, though. Love you, Pops!

P.S. No, my father does not do drugs nor has he ever in the past; he just really believes this stuff...

*

I saw Juno the other night--it was actually quite good, but I don't know if it quite lived up to the absolutely massive hype that it got. I was expecting that it was going to be one of the greatest movies in the history of cinema, but it wasn't quite that. Because of the aforementioned hype, I was thinking that it was going to be OK Computer/Achtung Baby/Exile on Main Street good, but I would say that it was more like Vitalogy/War/Hail to the Thief good: really, really good, but not a complete and utter masterpiece like the The Godfather. I had some good laughs, the writing was sharp and witty, and the acting was excellent. The music was a bit too "cutesy" for me, but a good sight better than the other crap that passes for movie "soundtracks" these days (i.e. songs that don't even appear anywhere in the film, but are just a way of making more of the filthy lucre).


That's all from my end of things--I hope all of my loyal readers are well. I always enjoy comments and hearing from y'all. Cheers...

5 comments:

Kristy Westendorp said...

Re: Juno (I had to pick just one thing to comment on out of all this)

It is definitely overhyped. I didn't think so the first time I saw it butt on a rewatching I still enjoyed it but realized the writing was at times downright ridiculous. (i.e. "Silencio old man" "Honest to blog?" Who says that?) Ellen Page and Michael Cera were what made the film because they're both such genuine actors.

I personally love the soundtrack. It might sound cutesy but if you listen to Kimya Dawson or the Moldy Peaches their lyrics are often non-sensical but sometimes spot on. (i.e. "And we'll pray all damn day every day that all this shit our president has got us in will go away") They just edited those parts out of the film. The genre of music is called "anti-folk" There was also a Buddy Holly tune in there.

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy ... anytime you want to learn a few of my fab dancing moves ... well, you know where I live.

randy

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job Mr. Bingham a.k.a guybrarian!

impactmatt said...

hey bingman...

I liked Juno... i would definitely add it to the repetoire. I thought the music was funny, but would never add it to my snobby music collection!!! HA!

Good to hear your rants!

Anonymous said...

Carmanah Valley or Botanical Beaches. I miss both the ocean and the giant trees, so you better exploit your location while I'm stuck in Ontario.

And your dad is crazy, unless he likes to fish, because that is the only good thing about Port Alberni - it is the launching point for going down the canal.