Monday, February 18, 2008

recent learning

I have learned a few things about both myself and the world lately and I am eager to share them with my readership:

1. I hate painting. I don't mean painting in the artistic sense, but rather the walls and ceiling type of painting. I have been helping out some loved ones with painting recently, (and I have been more than happy to do so) which has taught me that if I can afford to, I will be hiring someone to do the job if my home ever needs it.

2. The White Stripes are totally overhyped and overrated. I may not sound cool or hip by saying this, but I don't care. I will concede that Jack White is a good guitarist but is a passable singer at best (very, very pitchy--not even particularly "good" in the Mick Jagger sense of good) and Meg White is a laughably bad drummer, essentially sounding the same on every song. That being said, they have a number of tunes that are fantastic, but just as many that are iffy or downright poor. Trendiness be damned...

3. I have to learn to worry less. I am worried that my stress level will give me an ulcer before I am 30--and the sad thing is that it's all SELF-INDUCED! My type-A, high-strung, hyper anxious personality needs a dose of faith and perhaps an equal-sized dose of valium. It would also go a long way in reducing my random outbursts of anger and frustration if I could learn not to sweat the small stuff. Even at 29, I am still learning the all-important lesson that life is not necessarily going to go how I would like it to. Sad, really.

4. Macs are better than PC's. I have known this for a long time, but I just wanted to reiterate it it just so you all know where I stand on this issue.

Life is both frustrating and exciting for me as I look for work, but I can say that my lovely wife and I are so excited to be home and many of the things that I took for granted growing up in this lovely city have become like new to me again. I am thankful to God for the beauty I encounter daily, both in my physical surroundings and in the people I know and love. I am thrilled for the future: my marriage, my impending niece or nephew, my friends and family both near and far, my church, my job (whatever it ends up being), and perhaps my own children in a few years. Imagine that! Scary thought...

6 comments:

James Kingsley said...

i had to laugh at your need to use ALL CAPS just after you mentioned the possibility of a "pre-30" ulcer.

TAKE IT EASY!

from my mac to yours,
james

Jess said...

my PC can kick your mac's ass any day!

AJ Renton said...

Don't listen to Jess. Women know nothing about computers. She wouldn't even know how to make her computer kick an ass (which Macs are adept at doing). ;)

As for painting, can I give you and Caitlin a public recognition and thank you? - Yes, I can. Thank you guys so much for all your help with my parents home! You have made it both enjoyable (well, as enjoyable as painting can be) and possible (no thanks to my listless siblings). You two are awesome!

Jess said...

Look boy, I thought we had an understanding: you and I gang up on Matty together.

I am far smarter than any "man;" you boys are mere peasants in terms of my vast intellect. That's right. My computer schools crappy Macs...

P.S. When I buy a Mac can we ignore this conversation?

Michelle said...

I *wish* I had a Mac, damn this craptacular PC!

I also need to worry less, if you figure out how to achieve this before I do, please let me know, I'll do the same. We should be nicer to ourselves, we deserve it!

AJ Renton said...

Agreed. We will forget this conversation when you get a Mac. And we should stick to picking on Matt. And girls know nothing about computers.