Thursday, December 15, 2005

life?

I realize that I harp on this topic all the time, but since I have been living life at such a frantic pace, especially with this housitting jaunt (which ended yesterday), it occurred to me how little time I have to be still, reflect, read, pray, etc. I get little snippets of time here and there, but no real extended periods. I feel I need a retreat time to just unwind and be still. Sadly, with not much time off over Christmas I don't see it happening any time soon. We all DO too much. I recently spoke to one of my profs who studied the study habits of children in Singapore. He said that when they came home, many "studied" while watching TV, text messaging on their cell phone, playing on the computer, and eating. How can one study effectively while engaging in a multitude of other activities simultaneously?? We are completely overstimulated and constantly distracted. Some of us, myself included, have diminished powers of concentration and an unhealthy stress level as a result of life's demands. The thing is, I don't know how to break the cycle of living life at a breakneck pace and I sometimes wonder what it will do to me if I keep it up. Is this what life is supposed to be? Not much of a life if you ask me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matty,
You simply have to make the time if you want it. Take a week off work, whether you can afford to or not) and go solo camping or just chill. We all need times of rest and reflection to keep us sane, and if you can't fit it into your daily schedule, you're bound to feel the repercussions. A friend of mine recently went on a ten-day meditation retreat, and all he did was meditate from dawn til dusk. That's gotta be a healthy thing to do--just to become aware again...and don't forget the wise words: don't worry, be happy! Anywho...