Wednesday, November 02, 2005

the wink

I am a winker. I smile and wink at strangers and kids. It is a reflex. I mean it to set people at ease and show them that I am friendly or to affirm a positive behaviour (at work, that is). I realized, though, that my winks could be taken as come-ons by girls or as me being a smart ass. I am not sure whether I should attempt to break the habit or whether my winks are perfectly acceptable. I do not think, and my friends/family would probably agree, that I am a guy who comes across creepy but perhaps others would/do not feel the same way. Should the winking be stopped? Is it a possible affront to others? I will let my faithful legions of readers decide...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The winks are great and if people think your creepy that is even funnier!! Girls are just attracted to your sexy physique and good looks. We all know that you're a smart ass anyways so don't worry bing-man it's all good!!

Anonymous said...

I find your winks Creepy! Creep!

Anonymous said...

Jason said...
I to am a winker, not to be confused with wanker, and i agree with every thing that you say except that I don't mind if my winks are taken as come ons by beautiful women, because they probably are ;-)

Mama K said...

I am TOTALLY a winker..... it's funny because of you I am NOW worried about how many times we have shared winks across the stage during worship that people might take the wrong way....
arrggghhhh
you've defiled my (once pure) winking.
;)

James Kingsley said...

the more important question is why only the women thus far have included the ;)
in their responses. is a "virtual wink" as potentially confusing as a physical one? and how far can often can an emoticon be used to describe the very action it seeks to clarify...

AJ Renton said...

I am not a winker. Mostly because I can't, and whenever I try I look like a buffoon.

I have been winked at by girls over the years, and it can be very alluring, however, I have always taken it to mean one thing: "I think you're cute" (or some similar thought).

That being said, winks shared amongst friends can be a great way to show appreciation and love in a cute and 'different' way.

I think the winks should be reserved for friends, regardless of the thoughts of others as to their intent (excet spouses, their concerns matter). But when it comes to strangers Matty, I think you could always tone it down. You never want a mom thinking your a creepy pedophile. Really not a good image to bear, especially as a childcare worker.

Just my thoughts though.