Monday, November 28, 2005

plunging beneath the surface

I did one of the more interesting and rewarding things that I have done in a long time. I went to Port Alberni to see my father for the express purpose of digging deeper than the normal topics of politics and the Toronto Maple Leafs that we customarily cover. You see, I have had this conviction for the last couple months that I need to put things right with my father before I get married. Things have not been particularly "wrong" with my father, but I have found that as I grew into my twenties we have grown farther apart and I wanted to set straight some misconceptions he might have about me as well as be honest about some of my flaws and struggles. I am now 26 and it struck me that Dad did not really know me very well at all beyond the front that I present whenever I make it up island to visit him and I needed to take steps to remedy that. So, I took the day off work, drove up island, and surprised him in his classroom before school let out. We spent the afternoon, evening, and next morning talking, revealing things each of us had never told one another, and straightening out attitudes that we may have been harbouring toward each other. It felt good to be candid and truthful with my father about my fears, frustrations,weaknesses, my faith, and blessings for which I am thankful. He encouraged me more than I can ever remember and I will forever appreciate his honesty (I would say he has a hard time expressing his feelings and thoughts about relationship issues most of the time) in speaking so directly with me. It made the trip well worth it and I hope that this was a sign of a renewal in our relationship from now on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, man. I have also founds reward in reconnecting with my own dad on a positive level, and revealing a greater understanding of what makes each of us tick. I gotta say, it really feels like my family sphere is now, more than ever, a comlete and nurturing thing--as I hope it will stay, for both of us.