Monday, October 17, 2005

Eric Clapton

One of the few musicians of whom I call myself a fan but with whom I truly have a love-hate relationship would have to be Eric Clapton. I am a HUGE fan of his electric guitar playing, not to mention his time in Cream (see earlier blog post) and with Derek and the Dominos. His interpretations of great blues standards are often phenomenal and his dexterity on his instrument is beyond reproach. But the majority of his solo work absolutely LICKS! He treads on the same ground as Michael Bolton and Phil Collins. I should not be hearing Eric Clapton songs on 98.5 The Ocean (as I did when I was in a store recently). He should not be catering to the AOR/soft rock fans that listen to garbage like Air Supply and Yanni. There are times that I am ashamed to admit that I am an EC fan, but I came to realize that there are two Claptons: the good Clapton who plays the blues and rocks out and the evil spawn of soft-rock Clapton who writes and plays bland, sissy, wuss-rock that I wouldn't allow my worst enemy to listen to. Newsflash to Mr. Clapton: You did not get the sacreligious moniker "God" for writing songs like 'My Father's Eyes' or 'Tears in Heaven' (I may make enemies for that one!) but rather for songs like 'Layla' and your radical re-interpretation of 'Crossroads' (complete with one of the most blazing solos in the history of the electric guitar). So cut the prissy garbage and PLAY THE BLUES!!

3 comments:

Mama K said...

ohhhh bingy..
tears in heaven is one of the most beautiful songs ever written..
perhaps because you don't have children....(heavy sigh) NOT everything he does has to be blazin'.... sometimes simple is great. And sometimes great musicians have something they want to say rather than play.

Anonymous said...

I do have to agree I dig Tears in Heaven as well, I think is one of his most beautiful songs....
Come on my I know you like it as well...

AJ Renton said...

I'm going to have to go against the Bing here... as I often do. Actually, I have argued this topic once or twice already with him.

For the record...
'Tears in Heaven' will remain alongside 'Stairway to Heaven' as two of the best Grade 7 dance songs ever...

And, to add to the debate...
Cryin' and Crazy are two of the best Aerosmith songs ever produced!

Take that Bing Dynasty!

<><